2018 Summer Student Employment Opportunity
Gallery Assistant: Public Engagement, Marketing & Publicity
Are YOU an enthusiastic and organised student ready to help generate and facilitate public engagement with: exhibitions, educational workshops & events.
The duties of this position includes (but are not limited to)...
- Working closely with the Gallery Manager and with the Gallery Curator to generate marketing & publicity designs (posters/ flyers etc), and then to circulate this information using multiple social media platforms plus free event listing services.
- Supporting the day to day running of the gallery: hosting, welcoming visitors, sharing information about current and upcoming events, supporting volunteers and keeping the public areas presentable. There will be two exhibition change-overs during the summer which creates a wonderful learning opportunity in the curating/ installation process.
- Taking a significant role in supporting the annual Youth Festival, which this year will celebrate the opening of the upgraded skate park with film and mural projects for teens. Helping support activities for two Summer Camps
- A Canadian citizen or legally entitled to work in Canada.
- A post-secondary education student currently in full time education and intending to return to full time education at the end of the employment period
- 16 -30 years of age
- Willing to commit to a 32-hour week for 16 weeks May 8 – Aug 26, 2018
- Proven design ability using Adobe creative suite (Photoshop and In-Design)
- Strong communication & interpersonal skills
- Good presentation & facilitation skills
- Experienced and connected with multiple social media platforms
- Willing to organize and promote events
- Keen to follow direction and able to work independently when needed
- Positive and creative outlook
- Maturity and dependability
- Flexible working schedule (will require some weekend/evening work) with time off in lieu of overtime.
Additional desired Skills and attributes:
- Basic video and film editing skills/ photography experience
- Ability to complete simple web site updates
- Interest in Visual Art and Art History
- Interest in media and popular culture
- Love of books and libraries
- Experience working with Children
- First aid/ Serving it Right/ Criminal Record checked (we can help you get last two)
32 hours per week at $13.50 p/h.
*Working week will include most weekends and occasional evenings - days off during the week will be planned between events
Start date May 8 working through to August 26, 2018
APPLICATION by EMAIL to firstname.lastname@example.org
Use Email Subject: 2018 Summer Student Application
With RESUME and COVER LETTER attached
File names and formats:
Please include two reference contacts in your cover letter
Deadline for application: April 18 by midnight
With Interviews taking place shortly after
Please note: Position is dependent upon Canada Summer Jobs (CSJ) - Summer Work Experience program
The Lake Country Art Gallery provides a unique professional development and on-site learning experience to a qualifying student each year. As a Gallery assistant, you will get hands-on experience working in a non-profit organisation while also gaining valuable work experience for your future career or further education in the arts.
This summer employment opportunity will offer a student the chance to perform a variety of tasks supported with supervision and mentorship from gallery staff & directors. You will be helping to build community engagement and cultural citizenship in Lake Country. You will significantly contribute to the visitor’s experience as well as help develop and coordinate events that will reach out the wider community.
Check website for more information about what we do and make sure you read the Gallery Mandate and Operating Values HERE